Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Just Like My Italian Grandmother

My father's mother was my italian grandmother.  Even though she spoke no english, I knew she loved me.  She would give me big hugs when I would visit her as a child, and there was always spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove, and a loaf of italian bread to dip into it.  Actually it seemed, there was always food to be shared, and kind, loving words encouraging one to eat.

Motor
My two cats, Tiger and Motor tend to be on the larger side of cats.  They both weigh somewhere around 14-16lbs.  They used to be heavier, but they have been dropping weight lately.  I can see it and I can feel they are lighter when I pick them up.  Healthwise, it is probably better for them. The past couple of months, they have been eating healthier kibble, the more expensive brand of cat food that is higher in protein and has less to no meat by products.  They do not like it too much but will eat it if they have to.  Most of the time I also add the less expensive brands to their kibble mix, like Purina or Meow Mix.  I do a 50/50 mix.  I call those brands their "junk food" because I know the ingredients are not the best, but they like it.

So where the italian grandmother part of me comes out is when I notice they are skinnier.  I think, oh no, are they sick?  Have I not been feeding them enough? Am I a bad cat guardian? I better start giving them treats again.  And make sure they have their junk food.  

I was raised with the food equals love concept of child rearing.  Food was not just to satiate hunger.  It was used to express love as well.  I guess I have those same feelings internalized for my pets. I love to give them treats.  I know they like them too.  And I feel like a bad cat mom if I don't have treats for them.  They meow at me and look at me with those pleading eyes. 

Just what is a Cat Mom supposed to do? 

4 comments:

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

My grandmother was not Italian, but the first thing she ask when you walked in was, 'have you eaten? Can I six you something ?' I think it was a way of life for that generation.

Marilia said...

I´m brazilian, but my ancestors are from Italy. I am an Italian citizen without ever having gone there.

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I know how you feel! Eric was once 23lbs and I changed both of them to wet food with just a little kibble as a treat. He is now 19lbs and I worry that I am not feeding him enough but I know that it is better for him at his current weight. 19lbs sounds heavy I know, but he is a large framed cat and when stood next to me reaches nearly to my knee. I think of Flynn as being small when in fact he weighs 16lbs, but is not at all overweight.

The Lee County Clowder said...

We know how that goes. You could almost set your watch by Allie showing up for her treats. More than once Dad would suddenly look down, and there was Allie, just staring at him. He'd check the time, and yep, it's cat treat time.

PS: Do you know you have Dred Word Verification on?