Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A Visit to the Vet

I don't know who it is more traumatic for, me or my cats, when we have to go to the vet.  Last weekend, I needed to take Motor in for his annual shots.  I am always a little late taking both cats in because I know they do not like to go.  And I do not like to take them either.  So I procrastinate. 

Both Tiger and Motor need their shots for the year, but I decided I would try to get Motor there first.

Motor
These are the things I learned last weekend in regards to going to the vet...
 
Rule number one - always get carrier out of the attic the day before having to use it.  As soon as the attic door opens, Motor is in there, and then he is off exploring.  Forget about trying to get him out of there in any timely fashion.  It won't happen.

Rule number two - if you do get him out of there before he wants to get out himself, he knows something is amiss.  So he is on hyper alert for anything unusual, such as the cat carrier being open on the bed.

Rule number three - forget about trying to get him in the carrier easily.  Won't happen.  While trying to force him in the carrier, he was able to back himself out, and give me a couple of good scratches on the neck in the process.

Rule number four - just forget it for the day.  You will be happier, in the long run.  He is definitely happier in the short run.

Unfortunately for Tiger, seeing and hearing Motor's distress, he decided to check out what was going on and got right up to the open carrier's door.  We were then able to get him inside without too much fuss.

Tiger
So onto the vet's we went, with Tiger yowling all the way.  Nothing I could do would calm him down.  But fortunately for us, the vet tech, Robin, was quick and took good care of Tiger.  We were in and out of the office in 5 minutes.  The ride home was a lot quieter and more relaxed.

I absolutely dislike causing my animals any distress.  So taking them to the vet's office is a major event at our house.  It almost makes me ill.  Talk about overly sensitive. That's me when it comes to animals.

So next weekend I get to try to take Motor again.  Please, wish me luck.  I need it.     

3 comments:

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

It is the same at out house. I have had to trap Angel in the bathroom ans then scruff her and lower her into the carrier!

Marilia said...

Purring!

Unknown said...

At least, your cats got the shots they needed. You could try asking the vet if it’s possible to do visits outside the office. It can help your cats get used to unfamiliar locations.

Stacy Zimmerman